Christmas Tree Safety Tips
A live Christmas tree burn conducted by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) shows just how quickly a dried-out Christmas tree fire burns, with flashover occurring in less than one minute, as compared to a well-watered tree, which burns at a much slower rate.
This video shows how a well-watered tree holds up and a dry tree not properly watered burns completely in less than 2 minutes
Video Courtesy: NFPA
Fresh tree tips:
Choose a fresh tree as they will hold moisture better
Check for freshness by grabbing the branch and pulling on the needles, no more than a few needles should drop or fall from the branch.
Cut about ½ inch off the bottom of the tree when you get it home, place the tree in a bucket of water until you are ready to bring into the house.
When you set the tree in the stand, make sure it is stable and secure to not tip over.
On average a 6-foot tree will use approximately 1 gallon of water every other day.
Decorate only using rated tree lights for indoor or outdoor use.
DO not overload your electrical outlet. It is best to use a power strip and not regular household extension cords for powering your tree lights.
Always turn off the lights when leaving or going to bed.
If you are not using LED lights, you should only attach no more than three strands of non-LED lights together.
Check all your Christmas lights for possible fraying cords or missing bulbs. Discard any damaged lights and replace with a new set.
Keep the tree away from any heating source, like furnace, fireplace, portable heaters.
Secure your tree to a wall or ceiling if you have small children or animals, the stand is not a guarantee the tree will not fall. You can use a thin clear or grey wire to secure the tree.